OUR DISTRICT ACTIVITIES
Conservation districts are political subdivisions of the state organized under the Colorado Soil Conservation Act Colorado Revised Statutes CRS 35-70-101 through 35-70-122 designed to coordinate assistance from all available sources—public and private, local, state and federal—to develop locally-driven solutions to natural resources concerns. They provide technical assistance and tools to manage and protect land and water resources in U.S. states and insular areas. There are more than 3,000 in the United States. Depending on the state, they may also be known as soil and water conservation districts, soil conservation districts, resource conservation districts, or other similar names.
Conservation districts are governed by a board of 5-11 unpaid, ELECTED supervisors that have important roles as local conservation leaders to effectively nurture conservation in communities across the State. The supervisors are local landowners (or their designee per CRS 35-70-107) and serve as volunteers without pay. Each district also has one paid manager to handle administrative requirements and support the programs selected by the districts’ Boards of Directors.
Deer Trail Conservation District and East Adams Conservation District operate independently with separate Supervisors and Boards, but have chosen to join together on projects and programs where their combined resources can ensure or accelerate success. This web site is one of those programs.
Our districts have many working partners that help us achieve our goals, some of those key partners are the federally funded Natural Resources Conservation Service and Farm Service Agency, and Adams County Extension through CSU.
The original Deer Trail Soil Conservation District was established by a referendum and certificate of organization issued by the Colorado Secretary of State on September 15, 1943.
The original East Adams Soil Conservation District was established by a referendum and certificate of organization issued by the Colorado Secretary of State on February 15, 1951.
The original goal of the District was to protect soil and prevent soil erosion after experiencing the devastating effects of the dust bowl. The District provides representation for all private and public landowners in their designated area. The importance of water came years later with the growth in population and an obvious decrease in the water table. In 2003 the word “Soil” was removed from the name of the District to expand the importance of conservation to all natural resources in the District.
The District is governed by a Board of Supervisors composed of five landowners. Members of the Board are elected at a public election held on the first Tuesday of May in even numbered years. Two members are elected for four-year terms one election years and three members are elected for four-year terms on the next election year.